My mother-in-law, Sue and I love to be in the kitchen together. She and I are pretty well connected so we never seem to bump into each other as we’re crafting delicious dishes and deserts together. Another “person” who likes to join us is my dog, Chewy. He loves to play the vacuum cleaner and “help clean up” any spills we may have created while we’re at work. Unfortunately, Chewy is not as agile as us and often gets reminded to “get out of the kitchen” while we’re doing our thing.
One night in particular, Sue and I dreamed up a delicious recipe for gooey fudge brownies dripping in caramel and chocolate. The dessert came out so well that Sue decided to put a few away in her purse to take home later.
After dinner, while the rest of us were watching a movie together in the living room, I noticed that Chewy was not at his usual spot next to my husband’s feet. I called out to Chewy but he didn’t come. I thought this was strange because he’s really good at coming when called so I went to look for him.
As it turned out, Chewy had found a way to get into Sue’s purse and eat the chocolate brownies that she had stashed away for later. This little sneak thief found a way to pry open her purse, pull out the baggie that contained the brownies and ate all of them! He was listless, drooling and appeared “drunk”.
I knew how toxic chocolate was to dogs but never encountered a situation like this before so I panicked and immediately called the vet. I explained what happened and the nurse calmed me down and told me what to do. Luckily the amount that Chewy ate wasn’t enough to kill him but I was frantic to see him in such a state and watched him all night in case his condition worsened and I would have to rush him to the emergency room.
Though I wish nothing like this ever happens to you and your pooch, I know that things can occur, sometimes in a matter of seconds. Our pups have quite a nose on them, which can unfortunately get them into some bad situations if we’re not careful. That’s why it is VERY IMPORTANT that you read this week’s article on pet poison prevention. It can be the matter of life or death for your pet.
Amber Keiper is the Marketing Coordinator and Raw Diet Educator for BARF World Inc. She and her husband have two former rescue animals that are now healthy and proud “BARF brats” – a terrier mix named Chewbacca (“Chewy”) and a tabby mix named Chiquita (“Chiqui”). For more articles like these and to learn more about the benefits of raw food for your pets, sign up for The Intelligent Pet monthly e-zine at www.barfworld.com.