• 5/3/2011 - Keys Manufacturing Company, Inc. Recalls Pig Ears for Pet Treats Because Of Possible Salmonella Health Risk
• 3/8/2011 - Jone Natural Chews recalls Pig Ears Chews - possible salmonella Health Risk
**For a list of current pet food recalls, click HERE.
May 6th, 2011
Volume 2, Issue 5
Achoo! Allergy season is here again and it’s not just us that are feeling the symptoms but our pets as well. This month’s e-zine is dedicated to allergy awareness and it’s very fitting as this month is also Allergy Awareness Month. Here’s what you’ll get in this month’s issue of “The Intelligent Pet”:
- RAW KNOWLEDGE: The Best Allergy Defense Money Can Buy – In order to help relieve allergy symptoms you must first understand why they occur. Discover how different factors can cause your pet to be prone to allergy aggravation and how a few simple changes in your daily routine can make a major impact.
- GOOD DOG: Skidboot the World’s Smartest Dog – A heartwarming video clip you DON’T want to miss!
- IF DOGS COULD TALK: Signs Your Dog Suffers from Allergies – Have a pet with allergy issues but not sure what is causing them? Learn what the 5 common types of allergies are and what you can do to help end your dog’s uncomfortable symptoms.
Stay safe and allergy free this season with the tips you’ll find in this month’s issue.
All the best to you and your pets,
The BARF World Team
Important Dates to Remember:
Important Dates to Remember:
May is Allergy Awareness Month
- May 8 – Mother’s Day
- May 25 – National Tap Dance Day
- May 30 – Memorial Day
- May 31 – World No-Tobacco Day
Marketing Assistant and Raw Diet Educator
BARF World Inc.
Back to top
Signs Your Dogs Suffers
by Evan Price
Allergy season is here!!! I would know…allergies have not only struck me personally, but co-workers, friends, and family as well. This means that it is allergy season for our beloved pets as well. With that in mind, I thought this would be a great time to cover some of the different kinds of allergies and how they manifest in your pup.
Allergies are the result of overexposure to something that is normally harmless (grass, grains, pollen, etc.). The immune system overreacts and will cause a variety of unpleasant symptoms. More often than not, the symptoms will manifest on your dog’s skin or coat.
There are 5 main types of allergies that dogs can suffer from:
- Food Allergies are caused by a gradually developed intolerance to certain substances. Many food allergies are the result of a poor diet fed over a long period of time. Common food allergies are to corn, soy, wheat, dairy, and some protein sources such as chicken or beef. Symptoms include digestive upset (vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation) and skin irritation (hot spots, hair loss, or constant itching).
- Bacterial Allergies are usually secondary to some other problem, such as a parasitic infection or hormonal imbalance. These types of problems are not very common in healthy dogs. As scavengers, dog are biologically designed to eat food with a high bacteria count and process it efficiently. Only immune compromised dogs are likely to suffer from a parasitic infection such as salmonella or e. coli. Symptoms can include red, blotchy, irritated skin, blisters or pus pockets, and hair loss.
- Contact Allergies occur when a dog comes into physical contact with an allergen, such as plants or chemicals. The symptoms are similar to that of bacterial allergies, as well as tick allergies, which is why it can be hard to figure out the source the reaction. When a dog’s skin gets irritated, it can be hard to tell if he ate something, touched something, or got bit by something. Luckily, contact allergies tend to be an easy fix. There are special shampoos available that can help out here. Also, some natural Omega-3 oils, like the ones found in BARF World’s E-Omega Coat oil can help too.
Fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes suck blood from your dog, and their saliva is what causes the allergic reaction. Symptoms include skin redness and irritation, which may lead your pet to start chewing. While antibiotics are effective at treating the symptoms, a raw diet and probiotics are going to be the most effective treatment for the root problem. Therefore, the best combination for flea and tick prevention is the BARF Diet patties and nuggets with BARF World’s E-Omega Coat oil and E-BARF Plus powder supplement with added probiotics.
- Flea Allergies are the fourth type of allergy, and they operate in a similar fashion to the schoolyard bully. You know the one I mean…the one who pulled your hair and shoved you in the mud in 4th grade. Bullies only target people who will not stand up for themselves. Likewise, fleas only target dogs with weakened immune systems.
So now that we understand what the various allergies are and what can trigger them, I want to leave you with some ways to help reduce the impact of this year’s allergy season in your pets:
- Atopic allergies are typically caused by fleas, but chemical and airborne pathogens can cause this type of allergy as well. From the Greek word for “out of place” atopy refers to a predisposition to a developed hypersensitivity to a specific stimulus. While this can be hereditary, a reaction cannot occur without exposure to the specific agent. Itching, face rubbing, hair loss, biting, pustules (pimple-like lesions), and papules (small red bumps) can occur as a result of an atopic allergy.
Until next time, happy BARFing.
- Keep household cleaning products and other toxic chemicals out of the reach of your pets.
- If you are in an area with poison oak, poison ivy, or any other toxic plants, please keep your dog on a leash.
- If you notice any of the aforementioned symptoms, see a vet immediately.
- Make sure your dog’s immune system is running at full speed by feeding your pet a healthy and balanced raw diet, like BARF World’s complete and balanced BARF Diet patties and nuggets.
Evan Price is a Raw Diet Educator for BARF World Inc.. He is a true dog lover at heart with a particular interest in Daschunds. Evan is also an avid sports enthusiast and bridge player. For more articles like these and to learn more about the benefits of raw food for your pets, sign up for The Intelligent Pet monthly e-zine at www.barfworld.com.
Back to top
Skidboot the World’s Smartest Dog
by Amber Keiper
All dogs are special in their own way. As a dog owner, you know how easily they can find a way into your heart and remain there even after they’ve left this world. It’s no wonder why humans are so drawn to dogs and will invite them into our family – adopting them as one of our own. Here’s a video of a very special dog named Skidboot who not only touched the life of his master but also the lives of many other people around the country. Click the video image above to watch his story.
Amber Keiper is the Marketing Assistant and Raw Diet Educator for BARF World Inc. She and her husband have two rescue animals that are now healthy and proud BARF brats – a terrier mix named Chewbacca (“Chewy”) and a tabby mix named Chiquita (“Chiqui”).
Back to top
The Best Allergy Defense Money Can Buy
by Robert Mueller
Every year millions of pets are affected by skin allergies or hypersensitivity disease. The resultant irritating itching and scratching can drive a pet to extremes of self-mutilation and drive the owners to search out veterinarian help.
Allergies can be triggered from various sources such as fleas, house dust, pollens, or other environmental sources. (Read this month’s “If Dog’s Could Talk” section for more on signs and causes of allergies in dogs.) The combined results from several sources may provoke the allergic response.
Besides allergens, a buildup of toxins in the body can cause allergic reactions. Toxins can enter your pet’s body in various ways such as:
- Through poor ingredients found in processed pet foods - artificial flavors, preservatives, cheap filler ingredients, etc.
- Chemical stress from over-vaccinations
- Flea and tick medications
- Unfiltered water
Consider This: The connection between promoting good oral health and the allergic response is important to understand. We have observed that pets with clean teeth and little tartar buildup do not suffer from the range or severity of skin ailments that pets with poor dental health suffer from. As such, the accumulation of tartar in the teeth and the toxin buildup in the body are known triggers for an allergic reaction. |
So how does the body eliminate toxins?
You would assume that toxins would be eliminated the fastest through the feces or urine, in the form of diarrhea and vomiting. But did you know that the easiest route for the elimination of toxins from the body is through the skin?
Interesting isn’t it? The skin is the largest organ in the body and therefore it becomes the easiest route for toxins to be eliminated from the body. While this exit from the body can accentuate the skin allergy condition - fortunately this is only a temporary situation.
Many pet owners new to feeding a raw food diet to their pets will often comment how their pet’s skin condition seems to worsen during the initial switch to the BARF Diet. This is a sure sign that their pet’s body is detoxifying…that the BARF Diet is working it’s magic!
As the toxins are released and eliminated, the skin will undergo an amazing transformation. This is what is commonly referred to as going to the root of the problem and treating the source of the allergies, rather than doing symptomatic treatments.
So what makes the BARF Diet work for an allergy-ridden pet?
One of the most valuable benefits gained from feeding a raw food diet is the ingestion of whole, raw foods containing essential phytonutrients and live enzymes. The advantage is the major reduction of stress on the pancreas to produce those enzymes necessary for digestion and utilization of nutrients. Instead the living enzymes and nutrients contained in the uncooked food help in the digestion process. This is especially important when you consider that the pancreas only produces so many enzymes in a lifetime …so a little help from your pet’s food in this regard is a definite life extender for the animal.
Better digestion of the food also produces a stronger immune system thus reducing the allergic responses.
The body’s immune system is the very best defense mechanism in the body. By promoting better oral health and feeding your pet a biologically appropriate raw food (BARF Diet) you are guaranteeing the key defenses to building allergy free lifestyles.
Robert Mueller, BSc, Pharm. is a registered pharmacist and has been formulating raw diets for more than thirty years. Recognized as one of the early pioneers in promoting raw foods to pets, Rob's history of developing and promoting raw meat diets has exposed him to dogs, cats, and zoo carnivores worldwide. He is also the author of the book Living Enzymes: The World's Best Kept Pet Food Secret. Rob and his wife love to travel with their dog, Ube - a sheltie/beagle mix.
Back to top
Specially Trained Canine Used
In Bin Laden Raid
A specially trained dog may have been accompanying the Navy Seals Team 6 during the mission in Pakistan that lead to the death of the most notorious terrorist of our time.
Click HERE to read the full article.
Wags of Wisdom:
"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail."
- Fran Lebowitz
"Man is an animal that makes bargains; no other animal does this - one dog does not change a bone with another."
- Adam Smith
Back to top