|If Dogs Could Talk|
Going Away? Don’t Come Home To A Poisoned PetBy Al Skender
Many people are planning their family vacations now that the weather has improved a bit and spring has started to show her beautiful face again. Whether you are leaving your pet with a dog-sitter or are planning to stay close to home, it’s always important to be aware of the dangers that can threaten your pet while you’re not home.
“Every year, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control hotline handles over 150,000 cases of pets being poisoned, and many of those cases involved common household items.” Dr. Steven Hansen of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) goes on to state that, “In our homes, the bathroom is the most dangerous spot for pets. The single most common reason for calls into the poison hotline is because pets have consumed medications.”
Some substances, like over-the-counter medications, that are safe for people, can in fact be deadly for our pets. Even if owners are unsure about the toxicity of a substance, they should take precautions and keep it secured in closed containers and out of reach or view of their animals.
In some cases, it is not necessary that your dog eat or drink the potential poison; the poison can enter the animal’s body in other ways such as if it comes in contact with their fur or paws. When pets groom themselves, either by licking their paws or fur, they will undoubtedly ingest the toxic substance and be at risk for toxicity.
Common Household Items Toxic To Pets
Often the most dangerous poisons for pets are certain “people foods” and over-the-counter or prescription drugs. However other common household items that are toxic to your pooch include:
All of these substances have different effects to the body of your pet. Problems will often arise beginning with the gastrointestinal tract and neurology (seizures), followed by cardiac and respiratory failure, and eventually coma and death.
Pet owners should remember that although they love and enjoy many foods, consume different medications or use chemicals indoors and outdoors, all these facts could be harmful and sometimes even deadly for their pets. They should educate themselves and share useful information on harmful agents with other pet owners.
What To Do If Your Pet Is Poisoned
It is very important to be prepared for any emergency will a well-stocked pet first aid kit and the number for animal poison control in an easy to find location, especially if you have a dog-sitter for your pet while you’re away:
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
If your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, call Animal Poision Control (above) and refer to you pet first aid handbook. While you wouldn’t think it, some ingested poisons are not advisable to induce vomiting so be sure to check the label of the ingested substance before attempting.
According to BARF World’s “Dog First Aid Handbook”:
“If you know the ingested poisonous substance, follow the directions on the label. If it tells you to “induce vomiting”, give the dog one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally for every 10 lb. of his body weight. Use the syringe included in the your K-911 Pet First Aid Kit and get the solution down his throat. He should begin to vomit in about 10 minutes after ingestion of the hydrogen peroxide solution. If not, repeat the process.
Be aware that hydrogen peroxide is very caustic and can cause your dog stomach upset. Also, bloody vomit is very common with hydrogen peroxide use. After your pet has recovered, give some Nux Vom and wait 12 hours before offering any food or water. After 12 hours give him a small amount of water mixed with Luxolite then begin to offer small amounts of food over time.”
Lastly, make a list of all foods your pet is allergic to and keep detailed instructions of any medications your pet is taking so that whoever is watching your dog while you’re away will not risk overdosing your pet.
Hopefully these tips will give you peace of mind when traveling away from your beloved canine friend.
Al Skender is a Raw Diet Educator for BARF World Inc. He's a self-proclaimed expert on the German Shepherd breed, owning several of them throughout his life. He enjoys being outdoors and prefers it to being stuck in front of the television, unless The Office or CSI is on. For more articles like these and to learn more about the benefits of raw food for your pets, sign up for The Intelligent Pet monthly e-zine at barfworld.com/ezine
|Hot Dog Products|
Stay Prepared For Any Emergency with the K-911 Pet First Aid KitOur dogs seem to have a tendency to investigate and sniff out the oddest things. While this personality trait can be endearing, it can also get your pooch into trouble fast.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control hotline (1-888- 426-4435) reports that they normally handle over 150,000 calls a year from pet owners whose pets have been poisoned.
Don’t let this happen to your dog! Be prepared for any emergency with the K-911 Pet First Aid Kit.
“Why is this kit different than any other pet first aid kit out there?”
Here’s what you’ll get:
This best-selling first aid kit sold out during its initial release but is NOW BACK IN STOCK and ready to ship. Don’t wait another minute! Disaster can strike at any moment and you don’t want to be caught unprepared.
Get your K-911 Pet First Aid kit for only
|Bark Out Loud|
Click here for the full article.)|
Wags of Wisdom:
“The contamination of grains used in pet food, particularly mycotoxins, can be deadly. Mycotoxins are toxic substances produced by fungi in moldy grains and they are found in rye, corn, barley, oats, wheat, peanuts, Brazil nuts, pecans, and walnuts…The most common mycotoxins are aflatoxins B1. These are known carcinogens in laboratory animals and presumably in our pets…Deoxynivalenol (DON), also known as vomitoxin, is a common contaminate of wheat, barley, rye, and corn. Pets who eat grains contaminated with vomitoxin can have symptoms that include vomiting, diarrhea, and refusing to eat.”
“A well-trained dog will make no attempt to share your lunch. He will just make you feel so guilty that you cannot enjoy it.”