Let Us Give Thanks for Our Dogs
By Amber Keiper
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and frankly, I can’t wait! It is one of my favorite holidays of the year for many reasons. Not only do I get to spend some time in the kitchen cooking with my mom and my mother-in-law, Sue, but I also get to sit down with my brothers, my husband and our parents to share a delicious meal while swapping stories, advice and some gentle ribbing.
One of our family traditions is to go around the table and reflect upon the prior year, give thanks to God for the many blessings we’ve received. Does your family have a similar tradition for Thanksgiving?
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, here are 5 reasons why we should be thankful for our dogs:
This year, when you are sitting down for your Thanksgiving dinner giving thanks for all the good things that the past year has brought to you, don’t forget to include a little “thank you” for being blessed with a loyal canine companion.
- Dogs give us unconditional love, regardless of whether we deserve it or not. When others fail us, our dogs stick around and are loyal to the end.
- Dogs encourage us to stay healthy. They teach us that a healthy diet and daily exercise is the right recipe to living a long and healthy life. (That’s also why we feed them the BARF Diet, right?)
- Dogs remind us to make time to play. This is very important, especially since Americans have a reputation of being workaholics.
- Dogs give us comfort when we’re sad. Whether you had a bad day at the office or just received some bad news, our dogs know when we could use some extra comforting in the form of a sympathetic paw on the knee or a lick on the face.
- Dogs remind us to forgive. Perhaps the most important reason of all, dogs forgive us of our faults. They forgive us when we leave them home alone, when we chastise them, or when we’re too busy to realize they need our attention.
Amber Keiper is the Marketing Assistant and Raw Diet Educator for BARF World Inc.. She and her husband have two former rescue animals that are now healthy and proud “BARF brats” – a terrier mix named Chewbacca (“Chewy”) and a tabby mix named Chiquita (“Chiqui”). For more articles like these and to learn more about the benefits of raw food for your pets, sign up for The Intelligent Pet monthly e-zine at www.barfworld.com.