Dog and Flax Seed
ALL FLAX IS NOT CREATED EQUAL Not all flax is equal in terms of quality. There are many things to consider when choosing a quality flax product, including where and how it is grown, processed and
ALL FLAX IS NOT CREATED EQUAL
Not all flax is equal in terms of quality. There are many things to consider when choosing a quality flax product, including where and how it is grown, processed and stored. It is important to consider whether the product has organic certification and what quality control measures have been taken to ensure freshness and quality. Questions that one should ask regarding the quality would be:
- Where is the flax grown? Purchase from cooler northern climates!
- How were the flaxseeds selected? The seed should be cleaned to a minimum of 99% purity prior to use.
- Is the flaxseed oil cold pressed?Question the flavor of the product- Generally, the more “green” the flax oil tastes, the less processed and refined the oil is.
- Is the flax certified as organic?- Organically grown refers to farming that does not use chemical pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers and no irradiation.
- Can the flax be traced back to the original farm where it was grown?
- Was the flax processed in a GMP-certified facility?- requires stringent quality checks and inspections on the facility.
- Is the flax genetically modified?- A DNA test can discern the difference.
- Has the flax been laboratory tested for quality? Tests will confirm absence of pesticides, herbicides and heavy metals. Test results are sent to the manufacturer for verification of quality assurance.
- Should the flaxseed be in a vacuum-sealed pack?- Yes- the oxygen will cause the oil in the seed to turn rancid.
- Is kosher-certified flax available? Yes- it if food that has been permitted or accepted by a rabbi. It has been an indicator of quality .
These questions and more have been asked for the quality of flaxseed used in the BARF World patties.
posted by Rob Mueller
"BARF®" is our acronym that means Biologically Appropriate Raw Food. It is a complete and carefully balanced blend of raw meat, fruits, vegetables and bone. Our formula mimics what nature has designed our pet's to thrive on in the wild. The result is a pet free of allergies, digestive problems, and full of life!