Power To The Pooch
The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. The parades, the decorations, the food, being outdoors, whether on the boat or at the beach, grillin’ and chillin’ with friends and family, and my absolute favorite….the fireworks!
Power To The Pooch!
The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays. The parades, the decorations, the food, being outdoors, whether on the boat or at the beach, grillin’ and chillin’ with friends and family, and my absolute favorite….the fireworks! While many of you may also enjoy the 4th of July festivities as much as I do, it is important to remember that they can be very stressful for pets! Here are some tips to help us keep our pets safe while we enjoy the celebrations.
Tips for Fireworks:
- Consider keeping your fur babies inside.
- Then find a comfortable spot where your pooch feels safe and protected.
- Safeguard your pet with a collar and ID tag. Dogs should always wear collars with ID tags. Even indoor-only pets can become so frightened during fireworks displays that they may take desperate measures to escape the loud “booms” from the fireworks.
- Give your pet their favorite toy, treat or chew as a distraction to help keep him/her calm.
Tips for Backyard Barbeques:
Besides fireworks, 4th of July food is a must. Whether it’s burgers, brats, Kabobs, Steak or an all-American hotdog, as long as it’s grilled, it's good! And of course it is always fun to include your fur babies. I mean, who wouldn’t want a pet-friendly bark-beque!? But remember to keep these safety measures in mind during your paw-ty.
- People's food is for people. Keep your cook-out spread out of reach from your pets and ask your guests not to feed them. Remember, alcohol, avocados, grapes, and onions are toxic to pets, as well as cooked bones, which can cause an intestinal blockage that may require emergency surgery.
- While you and your friends/family are eating, give Fido his favorite BARF World protein.
- Keep pets away from Citronella and use insect repellent that is safe for pets. Citronella can cause severe respiratory problems if ingested and insect repellent that is not safe for pets can cause skin irritation and digestive problems if ingested.
Be sure that lighter fluid and matches are out of reach. These can cause skin irritation on contact, respiratory problems if inhaled, and gastric problems if ingested.
Glow sticks are a fun addition to any Fourth of July party, but be sure your pets don’t get a hold of them. Ingesting the glow pieces can result in excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation.
The day after your cookout, check your yard for food scraps and potentially harmful debris before letting your pets outside.
Remember, while America’s birthday bash is fun for us, it may just be the worst day imaginable for some cats and dogs. So do yourself and them a favor by making sure your beloved companions are well protected and safe.
Wish you all a safe and Happy July 4th!
Cited Source: https://www.dogtipper.com/tip/2020/04/dog-safe-bbq.html
Cheryl joined the BARF® World family in 2017. She offers strong Administrative Support to the BARF® World office, handles our Logistic needs, as well as Customer Service and Sales. She is passionate about pets; specifically rescue dogs. She is a Minnesota native and enjoys spending time with her family and friends.
“BARF®” is our acronym which means “Biologically Appropriate Raw Food.” All of our diets are Complete and carefully Balanced; a proprietary blend of muscle meat, organs, bone-connector tissue, finely ground bone, fruits, veggies, vitamins and minerals. It’s the diet nature intended for our pets to not just survive but thrive.